One of the big decisions that comes with planning a holiday abroad includes whether or not you plan on renting a car to use during your time in your destination of choice.
For city breaks, a car is often unnecessary, since the public transport infrastructure found in most cities worldwide tends to be fairly reliable.
However, if you find yourself straying from populated areas, then renting a car is a good idea, as it opens up your options, and allows you to do more exploring than you would be able to do otherwise.
When it comes to visiting Sardinia, whether or not you need to rent a car is often the subject of debate among people who visit the island regularly.
So, if you want to know whether you should rent a car during your time in Sardinia, then read on, and we’ll give you all the information you need!
Do You Really Need To Rent A Car In Sardinia?
Whilst many people will oppose the idea of renting a car for budgeting purposes, the reality is that in order to get the most out of your trip to Sardinia, you’re going to need to rent a car.
The biggest problem with Sardinia is that many of the most popular attractions on the island are accessible only by car, especially since the public transport infrastructure on the island doesn’t tend to reach many of them.
There are trains on the island, but they’re only really used to connect the major towns and cities, however, they are rather infrequent, the bus service used for the villages is incredibly localized, and it would take nearly a full day for you to cross the island by using the bus service.
Hence why so many people recommend renting a car when in Sardinia!
Thankfully, the roads found in Sardinia are in good condition, which makes renting a car and driving a viable option for anyone looking for an easy way to get around the island.
Reasons To Rent A Car In Sardinia
There are a number of different reasons why you should consider renting a car during your time in Sardinia, and hopefully, this list will help you to understand exactly why so many people will recommend renting a car to you!
- The first reason to rent a car whilst in Sardinia is that by having your own means of transport, it allows you to travel across the island at your own pace. You can create entirely your own schedule, and take stops and breaks as and when you see necessary. It also means that you can add a level of spontaneity to your trip that simply wouldn’t be possible if you were relying on public transport schedules!
- Another reason to rent a car in Sardinia is that many of the hidden gems that can be found on the island are completely inaccessible by public transport. So if you’re looking to explore the small, rural villages that make up the diverse landscape on the island, then renting a car is definitely going to be the way to go.
- Despite what many people might think, car rental in Sardinia is relatively budget-friendly, especially if you book it in advance, and it certainly will work out cheaper than frequently relying on the public transport and taxis found on the island to get you places.
- One reason to consider renting a car for your trip to Sardinia is that it’ll make your trip much more comfortable, especially if you’re someone who likes to bring a lot of luggage with you on your holidays, as constantly carrying your luggage onto public transport can be a tedious and annoying task.
Plus by renting a car, you can also store some of your luggage there if you need to, and you’ll be able to rest assured that your luggage will be safe if it’s locked in the car!
Overall, it’s clear to see that renting a car during a holiday to Sardinia is essentially just a great way to ensure that you are able to access more of the island during your time there, whilst also being able to do so at entirely your own pace, with no reliance on taxis or public transport whatsoever, which will truly help to get you into the holiday spirit! (see more about when to visit Sardinia here)
Where To Rent A Car In Sardinia
So, now that you know why to rent a car in Sardinia, it’s probably good to know where you can rent a car whilst you’re there!
All three airports in Sardinia have a rental car office, so it doesn’t matter whether you fly into Cagliari Elmas, Olbia, or Alghero Fertilia Airport, you’ll be able to book a rental car to pick up once you arrive, so you can begin exploring the island as soon as you arrive.
It is worth noting that you’ll need to provide a driving licence, and depending on where you’re from, you may also need to apply for an IDP (International Driver’s Permit) before you can rent a car.
You will also likely need to pay a security deposit on top of any arranged cost for the car rental too, but you’ll receive this back at the end of your trip.
Things To Know About Driving In Sardinia
There are a number of things you should be aware of when it comes to driving in Sardinia, especially if you’ve never driven there before.
So, here are some things you should try to remember when driving in Sardinia:
- Slip Roads – For some reason, the slip roads in Sardinia tend to be very short, which means you’ll need to adjust your speed accordingly in order to make it around them, and it also means that cars joining the road will appear much quicker than what you might be used to elsewhere.
- Speed Limits – There are no highways in Sardinia, so most speed limits tend to be fairly low. For example, many of the roads found outside of towns or cities will have a 90 km/h speed limit, inside towns and cities the speed limit can vary from 30 – 50 km/h. It’s important that you’re aware of the speed limit where you are and where you are planning on travelling to so you don’t drive dangerously.
- Headlights – When driving in Sardinia, it’s important to remember that you must have dropped headlights on, even during the daytime, when outside of built up areas, or in poor visibility settings.
To summarize, renting a car in Sardinia is definitely something you should consider doing, especially if you don’t want to have to rely on the public transport infrastructure, and without a car, there are so many great places that you’ll miss out on seeing, so if you’re looking to try and complete a comprehensive trip of the island, you’ll definitely need a car to do so.
Plus, travelling with a car on the island is much more relaxing, and you can travel at your own pace and on your own schedule, so it’s a must for a truly enjoyable trip!